The ring spinning will continue to be the most widely used form of
spinning machine in the near future,
because it exhibits significant advantages in comparison with the new spinning processes.
Following are the advantages of ring spinning frame
- It is universaly applicable, i.e.any material can be spun to any required count
- It delivers a material with optimum charactersticss, especially with regard to structure and strength.
- it is simple and easy to master
- the know-how is well established and accessible for everyone
Functions of ringframe
- to draft the roving until the reqired fineness is achieved
- to impart strength to the fibre, by inserting twist
- to wind up the twisted strand (yarn) in a form suitable for storage, transportaion and further processing.
- Drafting arrangement is the most important part of
the machine. It influences mainly evenness and strength
The following points are therefore very important
- drafting type
- design of drafting system
- drafting settings
- selection of drafting elements like cots, aprong, traveller etc
- choice of appropriate draft
- service and maintenance
- Drafting arrangement influence the economics of the machine - directly by affecting the end break rate and indirectly by the maximum draft possible.
- If higher drafts can be used with a drafting
arrangement, then coarser roving can be used as a
This results in higher production rate at the roving frame and thus reducing the number roving machines required, space, personnel and so on.
- In fact increase in draft affects the yarn quality
beyond certain limit. Within the limit some studies
show that increase in draft improves yarn quality. The
following draft limits have been established for
- carded cotton- upto 35
- carded blends - upto 40
- combed cotton and blends(medium counts) - upto 40
- combed cotton and blends(fine counts) - upto 45
- synthetic fibres - upto 50
- The break draft must be adapted to the total draft
in each case since the main draft should not exceed
25 to 30. It should be noted that higher the break
draft, more critical is the break draft setting
- The front top roller is set slightly forward by a
distance of 2 to 4mm relative to the front bottom
while the middle top roller is arranged a short distance of 2mm behind the middle bottom roller.
- Overhang of the front top roller gives smooth
running of the top rollers and shortens the spinning
This has a correspondigly favourable influence on the end break rate.
- Rubber cots with hardness less than 60 degrees shore are normally unsuitable because they can not recover from the deformation caused by the pressure on the top roller while running.
- Soft rubbercots for toprollers have a greater area of contact, enclose the fibre strand more completely and therefore provide better guidance for the fibres.However softer cots wear out significantly faster and tend to form more laps.
- Normally harder rubbercots are used for back top rollers, because the roving which enters the back roller is compact , little twisted and it does not require any additional guidance for better fibre control.
- In the front top roller, only few fibres remain in
the strand and these exhibit a tendency to slide apart.
Additional fibre guidance is therefore necessary.Therefore rubbercots with hardness levels of the order 80 degrees to 85 degrees shore are mostly used at the back roller and 63 degrees and 65 degrees at the front roller.
- If coarse yarns and synthetic yarns are being spun, harder rubbercots are used at the front roller because of increased wear and in the case of synthetic yarns to reduce lapups.
- Three kinds of top roller weighting(loading) are
presently in use
- spring loading
- pneumatic loading
- magnetic weighting
- With pneumatic loading system, the total pressure applied to all top rolers is obtained by simple adjustment of the pressure in the hose using pressure reducing valve. Moreover the rubbercots will not get deformed if the machine is stopped for a longer duration, because the pressure on top rollers can be released to the minimum level.
- The fibre strand in the main drafting field consists of only a few remaining fibres. There is hardly any friction field and fibre guidance provided by the rollers alone is inadequate. Special fibre guiding devices are therefore needed to carry out a satisfactory drafting operation. Double apron drafting arrangements with longer bottom aprons is the most widely used guding system in all the modern ringframes.
- In doube apron drafting system two revolving aprons
driven by the middle rollers form a fibre guiding
assembly. In order to be able to guide the fibres, the
upper apron must be pressed with controlled force
against the lower apron. For this purpose, a controlled
spacing (exit opening), precisely adapted to the fibre
volume is needed between the two aprons at the delivery.
This spacing is set by "spacer" or "distance clips".
Long bottom aprons have the advantage in comparison wiht short ones, that they can be easily replaced in the event of damage and there is less danger of choking with fluff.
- Spindles and their drive have a great influence on
power consumption and noise level in the machine
The running characteristics of a spindle, especially imbalance and eccentricity relative to the ring flange, also affect yarn quality and of course the number of end breakage. Almost all yarn parameters are affected by poorly running spindles. Hence it should be ensured that the centering of the spindles relative to the rings is as accurate as possible. Since the ring and spindle form independent units and are able to shift relative to each other in operation, these two parts must be re-centered from time to time. Previously, this was done by shifting the spindle relative to the ring, but now it is usually carried out by adjusting the ring.
- In comparison with Tangential belt drive, the
4-spindle drive has the advantages of lower noise level
and energy consumption, and tapes are easier to replace.
- Lappet guide performs the same sequence of movements as the ringrail, but with a shorter stroke, this movement of the guide ensures that differences in the balloon height caused by changes in the ring rail positions do not become too large. This helps to control the yarn tension variation with in control, so that ends down rate and yarn charactersitics are under control.
- Spindles used today are relatively long. The spacing
between the ring and the thread guide is correspondigly
long, thus giving a high balloon. This has two negative
- A high balloon results in large bobbin diameter leading to space problems
- Larger the balloon diameter , higher the air drag on the yarn.This inturn causes increased deformation of the balloon curve out of hte plane intersecting the spindle axis.This deformation can lead to balloon stability, there is increase danger of collapse.
balloon control rings are used. It divides the balloon into two smaller sub-balloons. Inspite of its large overall height, the double-balloon created in this way is thoroughly stable even at relatively low yarn tension.
- Balloon control rings therefore help to run the mahcine with long spindles(longer lift) and at high spindle speed, but with lower yarn tension. Since the yarn rubs against the control ring, it may cause roughening of the yarn.
- Most ends down arise from breaks in the spinning triangle, because very high forces are exerted on a strand consisting of fibres which have not yet been fully bound together in the spinning triangle.
Go to Top of Page